Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mommy Brain

Posted by Ling | Labels: Best Blogger Tips
Last Saturday when church service was over and I was about to exit the nursery, a most peculiar thing happened. Peculiar because it has never happened to me. I couldn't find my Fit Flops in the shoe cabinets. I caused a little commotion abeit the turnover crowd and got all the nursery workers searching for it.

There was another pair of the exact colour and design of what I had, except in two sizes bigger. I even wondered aloud at the impossibility of someone mistaking my shoes for theirs, since I was a petite size four. After ten minutes or so, the hubby asked audibly, "Dear, I thought you are not wearing your Fit Flops today, are you?"

Stunned silence for about ten seconds, then I realised my mommy brain had a relapse! The nursery workers were all laughing their heads off after the burst of revelation, and I quickly apologised for the inconvenience, mumbled about my forgetfulness these days, and swiftly left the nursery.

Can the usual brain come back?

I came up with a perfect justification for forgetful mothers.

Human beings can mostly focus on one thing at one time. While women are generally known to be better multi-taskers, they still achieve their objectives best when they narrow down to one goal each time. There is a mental checklist to run through each time we bring the baby out: diapers check, wet wipes check, pacifier check, bottle check, extra change of clothes check, toys for distracting the baby check etc. We don't have all the time in the world to pack our diaper bags, because we 'catch' our babies' timings, "Oh baby is awake, and it's not near to feeding time, let's just go for a quickie meal" or "Baby has finished his milk and is so restless, let's bring him out". With the time constraint, we sometimes forget to pack a) one of baby's stuff b) our own stuff c) some miscellaneous items for an errand. You see, we concentrate best on one person each time.

Hubbies, please understand. Without us you probably might have forgotten more things. So pardon the Mommy Brain.

'Cool in Shades'
<21 Feb 2012>
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment